Monday, 29 September 2014

Why Are Mondays Still Grim?


I retired early due to ill health. That was almost five years ago. In that case, why do I still feel Mondayish on a Monday morning?

Back in the days when I grafted for my bread and butter, knocking off time on Friday couldn’t come too soon. The weekend and complete freedom beckoned and I had grand plans; the pub, the bookies, the pub, the football results, the pub, and a lie-in on Sunday before going to the pub.
Course it never happened. Our typical Saturday was the supermarket, the football results and the pub. The rest was just a haze, and Sundays were even worse. The lie-in never seemed to materialise, and I couldn’t go to the pub on Sunday night because I had to be up for work at half past four on Monday morning.
That last point was the cause of Mondayish syndrome. It was always safer not to speak to me until about lunchtime on Monday. Any time before that and heads would be bitten off.
I worked with one lad who had it so bad, he was wound up about Monday morning as he finished work on Friday afternoon. I told him he’d be better off getting out of it while he still could.
Now I’m retired. I don’t have that ever-present threat of Monday morning hanging over me. Why, then, do I still feel so grim on a Monday morning?
A clue might be in the aforementioned routine. We don’t do anything different with the weekend now than we did when we were both working. It’s still the supermarket and the pub every other week, and the rest is a haze. And if we don’t go to the pub on Sunday night it’s not because we have to be up early on Monday, it’s because there’s nothing different happening in the pub on Sunday night than there was on Saturday.
We need a change.

Trouble is, the next nearest pub is nearly two miles away.

1 comment:

Ailsa Author said...

Understand that - us too. I think it is because most days are the same - with no work/leisure divide we go .... here we go again.